The MERIDIES Consortium brings together a set of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) strongly committed to the development of the territory in which they operate, i.e. the Alentejo region, integrating the Polytechnic of Portalegre (Coordinator), the Polytechnic of Santarém, the Polytechnic of Setúbal, the Polytechnic of Beja and the University of Évora.
EURASHE’s role in this project is mostly to bring the European and international levels, mainly by disseminating the courses and micro-credentials through various communication channels and events.
Based on the characteristics of the territory, this project translates a strong commitment of the HEIs involved with the development of the territory, contributing not only to meet the educational and training needs, but also to retain and attract qualified human resources, in strategic and crucial areas for development, aligned with the objectives inherent to the agendas under the RRF framework.
The three proposed training areas are equally articulated in a perspective of valorisation and improvement of the socio-cultural, environmental and economic conditions that favour people’s well-being and life quality standards, considering the positive effects arising from the training to be provided for upskilling and reskilling of the young and working population, on a life-long learning basis, ultimately aiming at providing conditions to attract and fix qualified resources, with potential development interventions for the territory.
The considered training levels and typologies respect an interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary perspective, aligned with the main present and future societal challenges, together with the paradigmatic societal challenges foreseen under the various mobilising agendas. The training offer proposed in this project is organized amongst 3 complementary areas, considering not only their alignment with the regional, national and international development agendas, but also their contribution for societal development, quality of life and well-being:
- Digitalization & New Technologies
- Circular Economy & Sustainability
- Renewable Energies & Decarbonization
- Contribute, in an integrated way, to respond to the complex challenges faced by professionals and public and private entities/organizations in economic recovery, strengthening the articulation between them and the scientific and higher education system; – Contribute to a sustained recovery and strength of the regional and national socio-economic system, based on the digital transition, the transition to circular economy and to a zero carbon society
- Strengthen and diversify post-secondary training, aiming the upskilling and/or reskilling of the active population through lifelong learning processes, in particular in the three key domains targeted by the consortium, through postgraduate studies, master’s degrees and micro-credential
- Promote a educational offer in higher education for young students in STEAM areas (in proximity, and in line with the EREI2030, the emerging needs of the socioeconomic system and the key domains targeted by the consortium), namely through short courses and degrees
- Promote greater participation of young students in higher education and reduce the school dropout, through an educational offer in appealing areas, organized in an inter and transdisciplinary matrix, which is inclusive, aligned with the expectations and interests of students and which reinforces participation and integration of female students