Quality of HE and its dimensions
Various ministerial communiqués have highlighted the diversity of European higher education as an asset.
A transparent, multidimensional classification system of instruments which are designed to benchmark higher education institutions on research and innovation, teaching and learning outcomes, services to society, level of internationalisation and mobility, governance, study fees and study environment, student and stakeholder involvement, etc., may help identify and make visible such diversity.
However, the development of such transparency instruments is inextricably linked to a well-functioning quality assurance system across the EHEA and to well-described qualifications frameworks that are closely related to the mission of the specific higher education institution.
Ranking, especially ranking expressed as an average of the different dimensions, must be avoided; such an average figure will be statistically questionable and therefore provide the reader with limited, or feasibly, misleading information.
Building an information system to evaluate higher education programmes in EHEA
Our vision shows an EHEA that has built up a comprehensive information system offering all the necessary data for those demanding detailed information about the individual higher education institution and higher education programmes across country boundaries.
EURASHE commits itself to cooperate with international authorities and higher education associations to identify and develop such qualitative and quantitative descriptors and indicators that will ensure the practical usefulness of the multidimensional instruments to the prospective learner.
These topics are faced and researched by the working group on the quality of higher education.
Quality working group and its tasks
The working group provides a forum for members and external experts familiar with EURASHE, to develop, stimulate and execute projects, studies, and other initiatives, including reach-out events.
Specific tasks of the working group include:
- Prepare and organise events of EURASHE on topics linked to quality assurance.
- Disseminate information on the annual EQAF, organised by EURASHE jointly with E4 partners EUA, ENQA and ESU.
- Support the application for projects in the area of quality assurance.
- Provide feedback and input for the discussions in the E4-Group.
- Follow-up on the BFUG activities in quality assurance and transparency, in between Ministerial meetings of the European Higher Education Area
- Consultation about the official EU policy in quality assurance, and especially in connection with our input for the European Commission’s Progress Report on Quality Assurance
- Follow-up on EQAR’s activities, including its Register Committee and its Board
- Provide expert advice and input for the drafting of policy papers, statements on quality assurance, and if requested, contribute to writing articles, manuals or guidebooks on quality assurance and related issues