EURASHE organised a PHExcel conference titled ‘Striving for Excellence in Higher Education: Bringing Education and the World of Work Together‘ in London (United Kingdom) on 18-19 November 2015. It is organised by EURASHE and the PHExcel project. Underneath are further information on:
(Photograph: CC by-nd by SUARTS)
Day 1 – Wednesday 18 November 2015
13.30 Opening and welcome
14.00 Quality in PHE: what is it all about?
14.30 Results of the PHExcel project & looking forward to the future
15.00 Coffee break
15.30 Excellence in teaching and learning: what does it mean?
Excellence in teaching and learning: what does it mean?, Danutė Rasimavičienė, Dean of the Faculty of Business Management of Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences, presentation – view video
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) a rough guide, Prof. Anthony Dean, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of Winchester, presentation
17.00 How to achieve excellence in research, development and innovation?
How to achieve excellence in research, development and innovation?, Christophe Debout, General Secretary of FINE Europe, Head of the High Institute for Nursing, nurse scientist, Health Chair Sciences-Po Paris – view video
17.30 Cocktail-buffet, welcome by Chris Wainwright, Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University of the Arts London and Head of Chelsea, Camberwell and Winchester College of Arts
Day 2 – Thursday 19 November 2015
09.00 How to achieve excellence in research, development and innovation? (continued)
Research excellence in the arts: research, development, innovation, Prof. Johnny Golding, Director of PHD/Post-Doctoral Centre for Fine Art Research (CFAR) at Birmingham City University
09.30 What characterises excellent policies and strategies?
What characterizes excellent policies and strategies?, Eugenija Vagnerienė, SPACE member, Director of V. A. Graiciunas School of Management
10.30 Coffee break
11.00 Delivering excellence: the view from quality assurance agencies
12.00 Institutions’ experiences in working with excellence (panel)
Eugenija Vagnerienė, SPACE member, Director of V. A. Graiciunas School of Management
Mike Fox, Head of Design Department, Limerick School of Art and Design (LSAD)
Sebastian Ładyżyński, Composer, Alumnus of Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław
Lars Ebert, senior advisor, ELIA
14.00 – 17.00 Registrations for the 10th European Quality Assurance Forum (EQAF)
On 18-19 November 2015, PHExcel organised a conference on ‘Striving for Excellence in Higher Education: Bringing Education and the World of Work Together’ at the Chelsea College of Arts, London, UK. There, we presented the outcomes of 2 years of: researching quality tools in Europe, developing a framework for excellence, testing this framework in pilot assessments, and validating it with consultations and surveys. Participants could:
- Discuss excellence in higher education, especially how to achieve excellence in bringing higher education and the world of work together, a key feature of professional higher education throughout Europe;
- Exchange ideas on the barriers and challenges to assessing and recognising excellence;
- Debate with experts and representatives from many sectors, including the arts, music, business and language studies and nursing education, what excellence means to them and how to achieve it across various sectors in Europe;
- Engage with colleagues from quality assurance agencies presenting the outcomes of their own research on delivering excellence in higher education;
- Meet participants from the four pilot assessments that PHExcel conducted and experts who contributed to the development of our quality framework and assessment process.
The conference was hosted at Chelsea College of Arts, 16 John Islip Street, London, SW1P 4JU, United Kingdom – next to Tate Britain, on the Victoria line.
The following hotels are situated near the conference location and public transport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London – Westminster, 30 John Islip Street, London, SW1P 4DD, United Kingdom, starting at £189/night or €266/night
- Holiday Inn Express London – Victoria, 106-110 Belgrave Road, London, SW1V 2BJ, United Kingdom, starting at £165/night or €232/night
- Travelodge London Vauxhall Hotel, 3 Bondway, Vauxhall, London, SW8 1SJ, United Kingdom, starting at £120/night or €168/night
- BEST WESTERN Victoria Palace, 60-64 Warwick Way, Victoria, London, SW1V 1SA, United Kingdom, starting at £104/night or €146/night
- Hotel Novotel London Waterloo, 113 Lambeth road, London, SE1 7LS, United Kingdom, from £189/night or €266/night
- Park Plaza Victoria London, 239 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London, SW1V 1EQ, United Kingdom, from £229/night or €322/night
More on public transport on Transport for London.
View PHExcel conference in Google Maps here.
The conference is organised by EURASHE and the partners of the PHExcel project (AEC, ELIA, SPACE, The University of Nottingham, Jagiellonian University and KIC-Malta).
- Conference conclusions (1.3 MB)
- Delivering Excellence (0.6 MB)
- Excellence in teaching and learning: what does it mean? (0.7 MB)
- Excellence in teaching and learning: what does it mean? (4.0 MB)
- How to achieve excellence in research, development and innovation? (1.3 MB)
- Quality in PHE: what is it all about? (18.7 MB)
- Research excellence in the arts: research, development, innovation (1.4 MB)
- Results of the PHExcel project & looking forward to the future (0.4 MB)
- Striving for a Perfect Ensemble (0.4 MB)
- What characterizes excellent policies and strategies? (0.4 MB)