EURASHE organised a Seminar on Quality Assurance (QA) titled ‘Implementation of Internal (and External) Quality Assurance and of the ESG in HEIs‘ in Nicosia (Cyprus) on 27-28 September 2012. It is organised by EURASHE, under the auspices of the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the European Union, with the European University Cyprus (EUC) and the Open University of Cyprus (OUC). Underneath are further information on:
(Photograph: CC by-nc-nd by Alessandro Cani)
- EURASHE Seminar on QA Report published! 19/12/2012 - EURASHE is pleased to present you the Report of its QA Seminar, held on 27-28 September, in Nicosia (Cyprus). The Seminar Report contains the main outcomes of the discussions of this Seminar titled ‘Seminar on Implementation of Internal and External Quality Assurance‘. You will have access to information on the Keynote speech by Dr George Demosthenous, […]
- EURASHE Seminar on IQA, EQA based on the ESG in HEIs – Outcomes soon published… 1/6/2012 - EURASHE has organised a ’Seminar on the implementation of Internal (and External) Quality Assurance and of the ESG in HEIs’ on 27 and 28 September 2012 in Nicosia, Cyprus. This event was organised in cooperation with European University Cyprus (EUC), and Open University of Cyprus (OUC), both EURASHE members, and took place under the Auspices of the […]
Day 1 – Thursday 27 September 2012
13.30 – Registration of Participants
14.00 – Opening Session
Welcome Address, Prof. Andreas G. Orphanides, President of EURASHE & Rector of European University Cyprus (EUC) (Cyprus)
Opening Address, Ms Androulla Vassiliou, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth (Cyprus)
Opening Keynote Speech, Dr George Demosthenous, Minister of Education and Culture, Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus)
14:30 – Plenary Session I
Discussion of ESG, the ESG Survey and the E4 Joint Report & ENQA’s Point of View on ESG Implementation, Fiona Crozier, ENQA (United Kingdom)
Moving from Theory to Practice on the Implementation of ESG in Internal & External QA & the EURASHE’s Survey on the Implementation of the ESG, Lucien Bollaert, NVAO (Netherlands/Belgium-Flanders)
16.00 – Coffee break
16.30 – Parallel Workshops I
Workshop 1: Organising and Implementing Internal QA: Application of ESG: “Organising and Implementing Internal QA: Fundamentals and pitfalls” (for HEIs’ QA Managers/Coordinators), Lucien Bollaert, NVAO (Netherlands/Belgium-Flanders)
Workshop 2: “How do the Mission and Role of Professionally Oriented HEIs Impact Internal QA Proceedings”? (for Heads of HEIs and Policy Makers), Mindaugas Misiūnas, Rector of Kaunas University College (Lithuania)
18.00 – Short break
18.10 – Summary of the Workshops and Plenary Discussion
20.15 – Official Seminar Dinner (Including a performance of Cypriot dances and songs)
Day 2 – Friday 28 September 2012
09.30 – Plenary Session II
Testimonial from a Head of an institution in the implementation of QA proceedings, Based on the ESG for QA, and Other Instruments for QA with a Professional Connotation, Pascale De Groote, Artesis University College (Belgium-Flanders)
Quality Research at HEIs, Nicolae Dură, “Ovidius“ University of Costantza (Romania)
Developing an Integrative Quality Management Policy and System with Links to ESG, Andre Vyt, Artevelde University College (Belgium)
11.15 – Coffee break
11.30 – Parallel Workshops II
Workshop 1: Organising and Implementing Internal QA: Application of ESG (for HEIs’ QA Managers/Coordinators – Second session): “Using the PROSE Toolbox and PROSE Online Diagnostics in Developing a Quality Management System”, Andre Vyt, Artevelde University College (Belgium)
Workshop 2: Professional Labels and the ESG: Complementarity or Conflict? “Quality assessment in the University Institutes of Technology: an original process in the French University system”; Armelle Motte, IUT Le Havre, Le Havre University (France); Brigitte Noc, IUT La Rochelle, La Rochelle University (France)
13.00 – Lunch
14.15 – Plenary Session III: Summary of the Workshops
Panel Discussion on the different perspectives of the ESG
Moderator: Terence Clifford-Amos, European Higher Education specialist (Untied Kingdom)
Panellists: Fiona Crozier, ENQA (Agency perspective); Fernando M Galán Palomares, ESU (Student perspective); Institutional perspective; Stefan Delplace, EURASHE (PHE perspective)
15.30 – Conclusions of the Seminar & Presentation of the Recommendations of the EURASHE Report on the implementation of the ESG for QA
Lucien Bollaert, NVAO (Netherlands/Belgium-Flanders)
16.00 – Closing of the Seminar
Andreas G. Orphanides, President of EURASHE & Rector of European University Cyprus (Cyprus)
16.15 – Cocktail Reception
19.30 – Greek and Byzantine Music Event – Concert (free of charge)
EURASHE organised a ’Seminar on the implementation of Internal (and External) Quality Assurance and of the ESG in HEIs’ on 27 and 28 September 2012 in Nicosia, Cyprus.
This event was organised in cooperation with European University Cyprus, and Open University of Cyprus, both EURASHE members, and took place under the Auspices of the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
The objective of the seminar was to train individuals responsible for the management/coordination of internal QA at institutions (e.g. Quality Assurance managers, Quality Assurance coordinators, Quality Assurance administrators, Heads of Higher Education Institutions), so that after the completion of the seminar they would be able to organise and implement fully, efficiently and effectively internal Quality Assurance based on the ESG, preparing also in this way for the external Quality Assurance evaluation of their institutions.
The seminar was built upon two themes, Internal QA processes & instruments for improvement; and Implementation of the ESG for QA in the institutions.
At Registration of Participants on 27 September, the attendants were given the opportunity to sign up for themselves (and their accompanying persons when applicable) for the Greek and Byzantine Music Event (concert) on the evening of 28 September at 7.30pm, and/or the Guided Tour of Nicosia on 29 September morning at 9:30am. Both events, programmed as part of the social programme were offered to participants by EURASHE free of charge.
EURASHE Report on the Implementation of the European Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Higher Education Institutions
In 2010, five years after the adoption of the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the EHEA (ESG) by the European Ministers of Education in Bergen (2005), in cooperation with the other partners of the E4-Group, ENQA, ESU and EUA, EURASHE accepted the mandate from the Ministers of the European Higher Education Area to examine the awareness, implementation and usefulness of the ESG in view of a possible revision of the ESG.
The E4-Group responded by running a project, “Mapping the Implementation and Application of the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (MAP-ESG project)”, and presented a joint report of the MAP-ESG project at the Ministerial meeting in Bucharest in April 2012.
As we had completed an extensive consultation amongst members and stakeholders for the MAP-ESG project, which had delivered substantial input and which had only partly fed into the joint E4 report, EURASHE proposed to publish a report of its own, focusing on the results and recommendations affecting professional higher education.
Participants of the Seminar received a copy of EURASHE’s Report on the Implementation of the European Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Higher Education Institutions.
This report has been published for the seminar, and is available here.
- Lucien Bollaert - Lucien Bollaert was between 2009 and 2015 member of the executive board of the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO). In June 2012 he was elected as member of the management group of the European Consortium for Accreditation (ECA). Before this he was acting general director and director of education and research at […]
- Andreas G. Orphanides - Professor Andreas G. Orphanides has been President of EURASHE and of EQAR as well as a consultative member of both BFUG Board and BFUG, and a member of the E4-Group. Professor Orphanides had served as Rector of European University Cyprus, Assistant Director of the Institute of Cypriot Studies at SUNY at Albany, Assistant Director of […]
- Nicolae Dură - Nicolae Dură is the former Vice-Rector of the ‘Ovidius’ University of Constanta (Romania). He holds a PhD in Theology and Utriusque Juris Doctor (Civil and Canon Law). He is visiting professor at the University of Toulouse (France). He was awarded the French ‘National Order of Merit’ in June 2001 by President Chirac for his publication […]
- Brigitte Noc - Brigitte Noc has 15 years of experience in Higher Education, with both teaching and administration experience. For the past 10 years at the University Institute of Technology (IUT) at the University of La Rochelle, France; first as Director of Studies in the Business Studies Department for 3 years then as Director of the Business Studies […]
- Mindaugas Misiūnas - Mindaugas Misiūnas holds doctoral degree in Social science (Kaunas Vytautas Magnus University) and master degrees in Mechanical engineering (Kaunas University of Technology) and in Social science (Kaunas Vytautas Magnus University). Mindaugas Misiūnas has experience as an expert in the external evaluation of higher education institutions and study programs. He was involved in several national work […]
- George Demosthemous - Professor George Demosthenous, Minister of Education and Culture of the Republic of Cyprus, obtained the Diploma of Mechanical Engineering and a Doctorate from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece. In his previous position as Vice-Rector of Frederick University he was responsible for the development, operation and evaluation of all new undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral […]
- Pascale De Groote - Pascale De Groote was appointed as vice-chancellor of the Artesis University College in Antwerp, Belgium in January 2012. She has been Dean of the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp (Artesis University College of Antwerp) since 2001; as well as being a lecturer of Dance History in the University of Antwerp. She has been active in the […]
- Terence Clifford-Amos - Terence is an International Consultant has spent more than 20 years in higher education in the UK and still holds a visiting lectureship at the Université Catholique de Lille, France. He is a former Visiting Fellow of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge and is well published in English Language, English Literature and Education. He […]
- Fernando Miguel Galán Palomares - Fernando Miguel Galán Palomares (Segovia, 1986) is a medical student at the University of Cantabria (Santander) and has been at the Università Degli Studi di Bari “Aldo Moro” (Bari, Italy), within the ERASMUS programme. Since he began his university education has been involved in various tasks of student representation. Within his university he has been […]
- Stefan Delplace - Stefan Delplace became the Secretary General of EURASHE in 2004, a position he occupied until 2014. He represented in the Bologna Follow-Up Group and several of its working and coordination groups, such as of the ’Structural Reforms’ and ‘Reporting on the Implementation of the Bologna Process’ groups. Stefan Delplace was the chair of EURASHE’s working […]
- Fiona Crozier - Fiona Crozier is a former Vice-President of the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA) Board, serving since 2008; she also served on the ENQA Review Committee. Fiona Crozier was an Assistant Director, Development and Enhancement Group of the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) which operates in Gloucester, United Kingdom.
- Armelle Motte - Armelle Motte has 20 years in Higher Education experience, with both teaching and administration experience at the University Institute of Technology (IUT) at the University of Le Havre, France as Director of the Business Studies Department for 9 years. Moreover she has been President of the executive board of the national Association of Department Directors […]
- Andre Vyt - Andre Vyt is associate professor in behavioural sciences at the departments of health care and rehabilitation sciences (Artevelde University College & Ghent University) and responsible for quality management and research in teaching and learning in the department of teacher education (Artevelde University College). He is founding partner and managing director of PROSE, an expertise network […]
- Barbara Michalk - Barbara Michalk is Head of the Section ‘Higher Education Reform in Germany and Europe’ of the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK). Before that she was head of the Quality Management Project of HRK. Barbara Michalk holds State Examinations in the fields of History, Theology, Jewish Studies and Educational Studies. She has studied at Duisburg University and […]
- Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the European Union - During its Presidency, Cyprus will work Τowards a Better Europe, more relevant to its citizens and to the world; meaning a more effective Europe, contributing to growth and job creation. A European Union working on the basis of the underlying principle of solidarity, committing itself to a better future, promoting social cohesion and providing hope […]
- European Association of Institutions in Higher Education (EURASHE) - EURASHE is the European Association of Institutions in Higher Education that offer professionally orientated programmes and are engaged in applied and profession-related research within the Bologna cycles. EURASHE represents univerisities of applied sciences and university colleges; other members of EURASHE are national and sectorial associations of higher education institutions, and other individual institutions, such as universities.
- European University Cyprus (EUC) - Ευρωπαϊκό Πανεπιστήμιο Κύπρου (ΕΠΚ) European University Cyprus, which is part of the largest international university organization, Laureate International Universities, developed out of Cyprus College, which was founded in 1961 by Ioannis Gregoriou. A major development in the College’s history took place in 2000, when programs of study leading to Diploma, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees were […]
- Open University of Cyprus (OUC) - Ανοικτό Πανεπιστήμιο Κύπρου (ΑΠΚΥ) The Open University of Cyprus is the country’s only Higher Education Institution dedicated solely to distance education. The mission of the OUC is to provide high quality academic programmes, to promote scientific research and to effectively utilise educational technology, methodology and teaching method in open and distance learning. Aiming to become […]
- 2012 Seminar QA: Evaluation summary (289.7 KB)
- 2012 Seminar QA: Portfolio (1.0 MB)
- 2012 Seminar QA: Programme (635.5 KB)
- 2012 Seminar QA: Rationale (444.0 KB)
- 2012 Seminar QA: Report - Implementation of internal and external quality assurance (7.7 MB)
- Developing an Integrative Quality Management Policy and System (669.1 KB)
- EURASHE's Manual for Internal Quality Assurance in Profession-Oriented Higher Education (561.1 KB)
- From Theory to Practice - EURASHE Report on Implementation of ESG on (P)HEI (999.4 KB)
- From Theory to Practice - Preliminary Conclusions EURASHE Seminar on Implementation of IQA & EQA (662.1 KB)
- How do the Mission and Role of Professionally Oriented HEIs impact internal QA proceedings? (1.6 MB)
- Opening Address (11.2 KB)
- Opening Keynote Speech (191.2 KB)
- Quality Assessment in the University Institutes of Technology, an Original Process in the French University System (503.3 KB)
- Quality Research at HEIs (202.7 KB)
- Some Observations from the Seminar (413.2 KB)
- Testimonial from a Head of an institution in the implementation of QA proceedings (5.3 MB)
- The MAP-ESG project: the E4 joint report & ENQA’s view on the implementation of the ESG (181.5 KB)
- Welcome Address (429.5 KB)